Black-Eyed Suzie’s Chef Paff Shares Her Recipe for Rhubarb Johnnycake
Inside+Out recently interviewed Cheryl Paff, Executive Chef for Black-Eyed Suzies in Kingston, New York. During our interview, we asked Cheryl if she would share one of her favorite recipes. So here you go…a sweet treat to try at home: Cheryl Paff’s Rhubarb Johnnycake. An early American staple food, Johnnycake (also called journey cake, johnny bread, hoecake, Shawnee cake or spider cornbread) is a cornmeal flatbread. Send us your best photos if you make this at home!
Check out our exclusive interview here > MEET THE CHEF: Cheryl Paff of Back-Eyed Suzies
This recipe is adaptable to whatever fruit is in season at your farmers’ market and it’s made with corn flour so it’s a good choice for those avoiding gluten.
- 2 Cups Rhubarb, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Cup Wild Hive Farm Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter – softened
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Raw Sugar
- Optional: Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350° Butter a 9” cake pan.
- Gently toss the rhubarb with 2 Tbsp of sugar and the ground ginger. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the corn flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1/2 cup sugar with the butter until creamy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the corn flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just enough to combine. Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread into an even layer.
- Arrange the rhubarb on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool and then sprinkle the raw sugar over the top.
- Slice and serve with Whipped Cream.
+ + +
Next time you’re in Kingston stop by for some delicious “grab ‘n’ go dishes and browse the gourmet retail section which features an expertly curated selection of specialty grocery items.
Black-Eyed Suzie’s Upstate
Executive Chef Cheryl Paff & Chef Juan Tzitzimititila
14 Hurley Ave, Kingston, NY
ONLINE ORDERS for Family-Style Take-Away