Honoring Love With a Deliciously Creative DIY Flair #willyoubemine?
By Jenny Wonderling.
Rumi, the famed 13th Century poet and scholar once wrote, “There are as many ways of loving as there are people, and that wildflower variety is the great beauty of this dimension of existence.”
Luckily in the Hudson Valley there are also infinite ways of celebrating all that unique love. Here are 5 top Editor’s Picks in a range of prices to honor love this year with an inventive, DIY flair for some delicious and creative fun.
01. ❤️ Foxfire Mountain House in Mt Tremper is an exquisite Catskills hideaway where you can enjoy a magical 3-course Valentine’s dinner, or book a room for an unforgettable night or extended stay. Their mixologist Manny Ramirez (@shivermebitters on Instagram) has also invented a spicy, sultry drink that will have hearts melting and temperatures rising. Experience it on-site in the Foxfire Bar Room or you can make it for your luvah anywhere you dream since they have generously shared it with our team at Inside + Out. The Cinnamon Heart recalls the sweet and fiery confections of yesteryear, revived with a twist just right for the complexities of modern love. Foxfire is also offering a divine Valentine’s Stay!
The Cinnamon Heart
- 1.5 oz Rough Rider Rye
- 0.5 oz Cinnamon infused Rough Rider Bourbon (3-5 days)
- 0.5 oz Amaro Nonino
- 0.5 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth
- 1 dash chocolate bitters
> Stir all ingredients with ice and strain into a coup glass. Enjoy!
02. ❤️ Pull your love close round the campfire or snuggle up by the wood stove…it’s time to get cozy the old fashioned way! And luckily Hudson Valley Marshmallow Company in Beacon sells ready-to-eat gourmet s’mores to go, as well as offers up all the fixins to make yours at home wherever and whenever you desire. Their decadent, all natural, melt in your mouth marshmallows come in intoxicating flavors including: salted caramel, French toast, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, pumpkin spice, caramel, and more! They also serve up handmade and deliciously crunchy, cinnamon-sugary, graham crackers in 3 flavors. Whether purchasing in their adorable shop or online, also keep a look out for their limited edition “Spread S’more Love!” Valentine’s Day themed s’mores baskets which include 1 bag of Vanilla Marshmallows, 1 bag of Cinnamon Sugar Grahams, 1 chocolate bar & 4 little bamboo roasting sticks. #yesplease!
03. ❤️ Kingston based Rebecca Peacock makes beautiful handmade fine jewelry from the highest quality materials, in silver or 14 and 18 karat gold, diamonds, and semi-precious gemstones. She firmly supports ethical, sustainable and fair work practices, uses reclaimed materials, and offers collaborative, meaningful custom jewelry that is sure to make your beloved swoon. Choose something fun like these Linked Kiss earrings or contact her ([email protected] or Instagram) to design something unique and bedazzled. And stay tuned for the official opening of her new shop at 40 John St. Kingston (opening March.)
04 ❤️ Pick up a couple of love inspiring books for you and your sweetheart (or bestie, loved one or for yourself) at Rough Draft in Kingston. They also have plenty of journals and notebooks for you to spill your love through ink. Here are a few salacious writing prompts to get you flowing. Please explore these as lists, a letter, poem, short story, or word splatter. For extra romantic yum, read aloud to one another:
- The most sensual experience I would like to have without having sex is…
- I feel the most erotic when…
- Share something quirky you adore about the love in your life..
- What is your “Forbidden Fruit”
05. ❤️ Sensual, hands-on and creative? in Rhinebeck is a great place to take wheel and handbuilding classes as a series or a private class with your honey. Kingston Ceramics Studio provides firing services, private classes, open studio time, and workshops. And last but not least, Fallkill Creative Works in Poughkeepsie also has wonderful pottery classes, as well as offers many other mediums including basket weaving, natural plant dyeing and more!